Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Deck the Halls {Ruffle Tree Skirt}

This year while I was pinning away at my Christmas Inspiration, I ran across a few ruffled tree skirts that I loved. They seemed simple enough (no sewing) so I thought I would give it a try!

 My method for making the skirt is from Miss Mustard Seed's tutorial for HGTV.
Miss Mustard Seed via HGTV
I started with a 5' x 5' drop cloth that I found in the paint department at Home Depot.
Home Depot
And I followed MMS's directions on cutting it into a circle and ended up with this... (She says use 4 1/2' x 4 1/2' fabric to start. I didn't worry about this and that might have been why I ran into my problems!)
I started with 5 yards of a cream muslin-like fabric and cut that into 3" strips. (MMS says it only takes 4 yards so I thought I had plenty). My 5 yards only covered a little less than half of my tree skirt.... I don't know if I made my ruffles too small and close or if that 6" difference to begin with mattered that much. So I went back and bought about 3 more yards of fabric...

I started by making a line of hot glue about 1 1/2" up from the edge of my circle and ruffling the fabric as I went.
I started with small, tight ruffles but soon realized after I started to layer that I could make larger ruffles and the end result was the same. This made the fabric stretch a little farther...

 And I just kept doing that until the entire skirt was ruffled!
It took quite a while and I broke it up over a couple of days but I think it is totally worth it!

Berkley even likes the skirt too!!
Isn't he such a cutie!


Linking up with:
Centsational Girl
The Southern Product Queen 
Bower Power Christmas Crafts

Tip Junkie handmade projects

8 comments:

  1. Wow, this turned our perfect! Totally worth the time .... it's so cute, and so festive :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting BeBookBound. That is SOOOO cute! And the muslin ornaments would coordinate beautifully! Now I feel like I need to go buy me a lot more muslin and make one of these... Thanks for filling up my Tuesday- haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tree skirt turned out so nice, and what a cute pup! My tree skirts are burlap tossed under one, ticking under another, and my grandmas flannel blanket wrapped around a third. Maybe one day I will try to make a real skirt! The ruffles are wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tree skirt turned out so beautifully! I made one this year too, it was a lot of work, but definitely worth it!!

    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means a lot. I try and answer any questions directly in the comment section so if you ask a question come back to look for my answer. However, it is much easier for me to answer questions through email at lorrinteriors@gmail.com.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips